Fortress Introduction to the Prophets
An experienced teacher of the prophetic materials provides students with an accessible entrée into this fascinating aspect of Hebrew Bible studies.
The author begins by asking five basic questions about Israelite prophecy and the prophetic books.
- Do the prophetic books witness to a real phenomenon of prophecy in Israel?
- What is the relationship of the "classical" or "writing" prophets to the "pre-classical" prophets?
- Where do we look for the origins of Israelite prophecy?
- How do the prophets relate to their culture and society?
- How does the prophetic collection of writings relate to the legal and historical traditions of Israel?
Through literary, social, and theological analysis, he then introduces the most noted of the Hebrew prophets, with special attention to Jeremiah.